Tuesday, March 21, 2006

A Good Reason to Blog

NoSand, MS> I read a lot of the big time blogs. Lots of information on the War in Iraq, hardships they suffer and the loneliness of being thousands of miles from home. You think of them as heroes,soldiers doing their job, relentless and tireless.
Then it occurred to me what would I be thinking about if I was over there. Mom and Dad, Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, interaction between my siblings, my children, my fiancee’, lots of things crossed my mind.
I also knew another thing I would want to hear about. The thought came to me about the soldiers raised here in the south and what they wanted to hear about. Hunting which is a large part of the upbringing of almost everyone born here and the fun and simple life at their deer camp or the fun stories of great or funny hunts shared around a fire. The great big buck their buddy took and the one that snuck up on their brother and got away. Tricks to get a deer, letting the monster buck get away with egg on your face, cold frosty mornings when the crackle of a deer walking in the leaves makes the blood race.
Looking at your friends face in the early morning light as a big gobbler cuts loose just up the ridge, a gunshot that is probably Uncle Joe or your Dad. How many did they get? What is the story behind them? Maybe the famous Christmas Place will be a place to visit on the web that will make their hearts light and hopeful that the woods are full of deer and turkeys, and the potholes are full of ducks. I hope that anyone reading this will send the link to a soldier, maybe the stories will make him laugh, or just remember a perfect day hunting with family and friends

No comments: