Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Where Stories Come From


Skull Island, MS> I have always been a ravenous and avid reader. A recent comment by the Hog Guy referencing Mark Twain reminded me where the stories come from and answers the question "Why do you Blog?".
I read all his classic adventures with Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. I read Treasure Island, read adventure comic books and amazing ghost stories, all of the Jules Verne novels, Jack London, and many more. I also listened to camp stories. People coming in to tell about their hunt and the way it would be stretched. I learned to take a simple story and make it dramatic, extremely funny, or give it a twist. I learned to look for the story just waiting to be found. I am putting the ghost and strange stories in the section called Spooky Campfire Stories .
The wild yarns and funny hunting stories are in the Favorite Wild Tales section.
Many of these stories have a lot of truth in them, some have zero. The ones that have been handed down over the years, I want on paper for my children and their children. Growing up, I led a life that to me was typical and not very interesting. Roaming the hills, gun in hand, or a float trip down the Yocona River. Snake hunting, backpacking, camping, and exploring. I later learned that the stuff I did everyday was a great adventure to be remembered by others. I will talk about these as time goes by and you can judge for yourself. We have thousands of photos from over the years that chronicle our life hunting, many great stories are in these. I have hunted ducks breaking ice, wandered grown up and forgotten fields chasing rabbits and quail, shot doves in corn fields where you thought your gun would melt, and hunted the magnificent whitetail deer all my life. Blog about what you know! Mark Twain did this as did the great writers I have read. Hopefully you will read some of these and relate some form of one of them as you gather a bunch of eager kids around your own campfire.
Please enjoy the stories and thank you to the people who actually read these posts.
I promise that if you come here we will find an adventure or two to get into.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know the age of your children, but they probably won't appreciate the stories of your adventures if they are young. Once they grow up, maybe have kids of their own, then they will be thankful you put fingers to keyboard and saved your experiences.

I look forward to reading them.

My hubby has great memories of his dad, spending time camping, fishing, telling tall tales... But he has never written them down for future generations. I'll suggest he do so.

Editor said...

I find that blogging (typing) the stories dwon and refining them does wonders for my soul. \
The kids love the spooky stories,
when I can get them to sit still.
They are 9,12,13.
Please visit often, love your comments.

Anonymous said...

Well, Rex...I know I sure enjoy reading them.

It'll be a great legacy for your youngsters, and for the lifestyle as well!

Editor said...

thanks my friend, this post was to thank you for even mentioning such a great writer (and wild liar) as Mark Twain here. It made me think of all the great stories I read growing up and how I enjoy writing and posting my little stories.

KeesKennis said...

Thats how I grew up as well, not realy apreciating the wonderfull life that we had.
Looking forward to reading your stories.
I'll try to cut thru the BS.

Anonymous said...

Good post. When all is said and done, what do we really have but the stories?

Editor said...

thanks Kees, thanks Matt
I love the BS.
Soon as Matt makes some money, we are coming over to see you for a fun visit.

Marian Ann Love said...

Ever since I have known you here at 'Deer Camp Blog' I have been impressed with all your stories. As I have said before, you are a very GOOD writer and you have a gift! I look forward to reading your blog everyday. Keep up the great work Rex and thanks for the entertainment! Marian

Editor said...

Thanks Marian,
you've been a true friend and I am looking forward to you trying to make the fish fry on the 5th.