Monday, March 23, 2009

The Bushwacker Grove

Chestnut, MS> No, I did not get a turkey. We only went to camp this weekend to meet David Hyde, who had come up to fix us all a quail dinner. Let me tell you that it was delicious. Meeting with David gave me some ideas how to upgrade the blog a little also. Hope you will enjoy what I have in store for you. Especially, Elizabeth at Deer Passion who says that I having been creeping her out lately (a lot).
Spring is in the air here. The dogwoods are in bloom and the time had come to keep a promise to my old friend The Suburban Bushwacker. We have talked about planting chestnuts on the Christmas Place from jolly old England but did not get it worked out. That's OK. While I was in Ireland and France I picked up handfuls of chestnuts and brought them back. I promised I would plant them and name the spot, Bushwacker Grove.
Denise, Camo and I headed to the north cornfield and the grass facing it and I started planting the seeds. We marked them with red flags and I sure hope they make it. I also hope the damn hogs don't find them. Denise would not get off of the 4-wheeler because she was afraid of snakes and Camo was not worth a damn helping me plant the chestnuts, she would not even look for shed antlers. Worthless! Denise did take pictures and we drove around a little looking for sheds with no luck and we headed back to camp. We did not stop and let Camo drink in the creek or get near water, Denise was afraid an alligator would get her and probably us too.

The planting did not take long and it was an absoulutely beautiful morning, so we had fun except Camo got tired and we had to haul her butt back on the 4- wheeler. So, it is done and the Bushwacker Grove is a reality. Remember to go over to his site and comment that this has been started for the Suburban Bushwacker when he finally comes over here to go elk hunting or try his hand at blasting the mighty Thunderhoof.

4 comments:

Deer Passion said...

Glad to see something on here besides snakes and bugs! :) Looks like you had a fun, productive morning!

Home on the Range said...

I lived south of Springfield back in the early 90's. There was some wonderful deer and especially, turkey hunting in the area. My grandfather is from Festus, my grandmother from the little town where I live now up further north.

Thanks for the link and the welcome from the outdoor bloggers!

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

How honored do i feel now!
Rex what can i say? words fail me
SBW

Anonymous said...

great post. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you guys learn that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.