Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Deer Camp Song

A million years ago or yesterday I used to pull out a big rocking chair every night and rock my tiny babies to sleep. I sang old favorites and made up songs as we rocked. This was one of their favorites. Sung to Yellow Submarine by the Beatles.
In the town where I was born,
lived a man who loved the deer
and he told us of his life
in the land of Indian Dreams.
- So we drove unto the sun,
till we found a land of green,
and we lived beneath the bluffs
in the land of Indian Dreams.

---We all live at the deer camp, the deer camp, the deer camp.
---We all live at the deer camp, the deer camp, the deer camp.
We drive 4-wheelers to the Indian Mound,
there we go, around and round
Cross the lake , we saw a snake
and some deer, the airs so clear

(Refrain)
Then we drive along the road,
stopping often to reload.
There flys a duck, I got my buck!
Then back to deer camp in the truck.

(Refrain)
As we live a life of ease,
everyone hunts all they please
Sky of blue and trees of green
In the land
of Indian Dreams.

Pretty corny, but it was a magical time when they were little and I wanted to remember some of the songs we sang and enjoyed as I rocked them to sleep. Besides, you might find yourself humming this song later on with a smile on your face.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rex, I warned you about the long term effects of acid. I guess it was too late.

Anonymous said...

I sand mine Dixie, does that make me evil?

Anonymous said...

I meant to say Sang. Darn where is spellcheck when you need it.

Editor said...

I sang Dixe, On Top of Old Smokey,
Swing Low Sweet Chariot and a million more. I sure miss it at times, got any of those hallucigens?

Anonymous said...

Never touched the stuff. Sorry

Anonymous said...

Rex, I didn't mean to take you off track remembering your babies and all. I miss mine being smaller too. They do grow up fast don't they. It was always my job to get mine to go to sleep after their bath. They always smelled so clean. I perfected the knee bounce method where they would sing themselves to sleep. That of course was very tiring with my smallest waying nearly 10 lbs at birth. I think what I miss most is going Christmas shopping when they didn't give a hoot what you bought them. Oh well thanks for making me depressed Rex. Have a nice day

FHB said...

I was livin' in England when the Yellow Submarine came out. Still have it memorized.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the lyrics...My two boys, 1 and 2.5, love to dance when I sing and clap. And we always love to incorporate deer and hunting in to all of our stories, so why not our songs.
I will give your song a shot and get back to you on their response.
Also, even though our boys are still very young, my wife and I are already getting depressed about them growing up so fast - the baby stage is such an amazing time.

Anonymous said...

The Beatles, who are they???

Anonymous said...

Malerider? I think the beatles were all Hank Willams Sr's illegitimate children. They must have been shipped off to England for their on safety.

Anonymous said...

X49h5C Your blog is great. Articles is interesting!

Anonymous said...

E5EUWi Please write anything else!

Anonymous said...

Nice Article.

Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

Anonymous said...

Magnific!

Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to author.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

Anonymous said...

toVTP4 Thanks to author.

Anonymous said...

Hello all!