Friday, November 16, 2007

Deer Eve

In Mississippi, today is Deer Eve. Although not quite a state holiday it is treated that way by most of the people here. Very little work will be done today and people going to their deer camps will try to leave at noon. In schools the teachers turn a blind eye to the kids that check out at noon and in the distance you can here the rolling boom of people sighting their rifles in at the last minute.

Like Christmas Eve, this night will be spent tossing and turning with dreams of a giant buck. The chase, the glimpse of giant antlers and the shot. All deerhunters in the state will be up drinking coffee at 4AM tomorrow morning primed and ready to go.
At the famous Christmas Place everything is ready. We all have our stands good to go.
I am hunting the Mountain, Paul and Michael are going to the Hole, Burney will probably go to the 72 acres and Dad is behind the Gamewardens. After all the years of opening day of deer season, I still feel like a kid on Christmas Eve today.

14 comments:

Marian Ann Love said...

Bob and I are wishing you GOODHUNTING!!!

Anonymous said...

Go git 'em, Rex!

I sure know the feeling. Hunting year-round like I do nowadays, every day is kinda like Christmas, but there's always a special anticipation the night before a big hunt or a season opener.

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you all!

Dazd said...

Good luck and looking forward to more pics.

Anonymous said...

Have a good and safe hunt.

We have something similar here in Michigan. On opening day of Firearm Season, a lot of people mysteriously go missing. You can find them all, dressed in orange, in the woods.

Anonymous said...

Keep your powder dry! Good luck and be safe.

Holly Heyser said...

Have a great hunt!

Ralphd00d said...

Best shooting wishes for ya.

Anonymous said...

Good luck to all of ya. Opening night anticipation is awesome!

deadstick said...

I know how you feel as well, I'm awaiting the 2nd weekend here in ND like it's XMAS Eve - and I don't even have a buck Tag! I'm leaving in 39 minutes, by the way.

I just can't wait to try and spot a nice mature one for my neice.

Mike Shimniok said...

Good hunting, best of luck! Can't wait to hear what happens...

Andy said...

Man, that is exciting just reading about it! I hope you guys have a safe and successful hunt. There are 9 days to go here and I'm already getting excited to go out.

BobG said...

Good hunting.

Anonymous said...

Rex, you can be old like me and still get the jitters on Deer eve!