Friday, November 09, 2007

Sighting In the Smoke Pole

Mark and I just got back from sighting in all his rifles. He brought three 30.06 rifles along with his 45.70. No problems till we tried to sight in the 45.70
This rifle is short and the bullet looks like a howitzer shell. I grabbed a pillow stuck it against my shoulder, cocked the damn thing and squeezed the trigger. BOOOMMM!!! Holy Crap!! I was surprised that we were not all dead. Of course, the scope was off. BOOOMMM! I felt like a mule was kicking me. Threw the pillow away, my shoulder was dead anyway, made Mark shoot it after adjusting. BOOOMM!! He said "S##T, who hit me?" His eyes were crossed and he was facing backwards.
Smoke obscured eveything and it was my time again. BOOOMMM!!! My shoulder began to look like hamburger meat. Finally we got it to hit the bullseye. I hope I never have to sight-in that horrible damn rifle again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kind of loads were you shooting? Mine didn't kick much more than my .270. What a wuss

Editor said...

I think they were German 88's

Anonymous said...

more like 105's.Enough powder to orbit Arnold. (yes, the Arnold)

JDP said...

Didn't know you could hunt Elephants in Mississippi.

JDP

none said...

I've moved to coyboy action loads on my 45-70. That thing rattles my teeth loose with hunting loads.

Andy said...

Ouch! That would be rough, especially if it is an older 45-70 with metal buttplate. My slug gun is somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 ft-lbs of free recoil and it has a nice thick R3 pad on it. From what I have seen of 45-70's, they can push 40 ft-lbs. You're lucky you didn't knock any teeth loose!