Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Pond Stand Ghost


Sleepy Hollow, MS> Soon after we purchased the famous Christmas Place, a scouting trip along the edge of the bottoms revealed a pond there. Hidden in the woods, it was surrounded by big buck sign and I quickly moved a stand onto the levee of the pond and got ready to hunt there early in the season. Bowhunting was great! I saw several nice bucks and each time I was there, the deer would always end up coming to the water to drink and cool off.
It was a dreary afternoon when I got to the stand. It looked like a big storm was coming, but I wanted to hunt my stand and get that big old buck that had made all the rubs in the area. I got to my stand and had not been there an hour when the first raindrops hit the bill of my cap. Quickly, a slow and steady rain came down. I hunkered down and tried to wait it out. The woods grew dark and the patter of the rain through the woods and on the surface of the water made it impossible to hear anything. I pulled my collar up close and scanned the woods. A slight white fog curled up from the pond.
I don’t think I heard anything, I just turned and the woman was stepping through the woods and onto the pond levee. Dark haired, pretty and wearing a long white dress, she looked out at the water. I raised up to yell, and realized that I could see through her. I froze, suddenly terrified by the sight. She turned slightly and looked at me. She was only 20 yards from my stand. A slight smile from her and she stepped out onto the surface of the water. The curling fog seemed to wrap itself around her lower body as she moved to the center. She did not sink and she did not make any ripples in the water. Reaching the center, she turned, stuck her arms straight out and looked at me. She smiled again and with a tremendous splash she disappeared into the water. By the time the ripples got to the bank, I was out of the stand and halfway to my fourwheeler.

We have seen the mysterious spirit several times since and it is always in the rain. She stays near the pond. She has been seen walking the edge of the cottonfield near there several times. It is always on a rainy day. We hunt all over the property but never hunt that area in the rain or if there is even a chance of rain.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that's a good one. My first instinct was to read it to my kids, since they love spooky stuff, but it might make them scared to go hunting for awhile. Have you done any research to try and find out who the spirit might belong to?

Editor said...

kids love short spooky stories. Of course, mine is true.
We don't swim there either.:)

alphamale said...

Please tell me this didn't happen! And/or is it still happening? Sell the property!
Alphamale.....Huntsville, Ont.

Editor said...

we ain't (too) scared of a ghost.
Come visit again!

Anonymous said...

What kind of ammo would you use on a ghost?

Editor said...

You need to use a Boo-zooka!

Anonymous said...

You guys are great!Keep cranking out the stories.We have a Pond Watch too.My mind has something else to think about when I'm there the next time.
alphamale

Editor said...

Do you blog? keep reading, I have somethings more frightening than this coming soon.

Anonymous said...

Frighten me further on Muskoka Outdoors blog.Bill AndersonJr. is my son.He's a good boy. He just can't shoot straight.We hunt 700 acres together with Rip and Tear Hunt Club About 120 miles North of Toronto Ont. Can. Hunt proud and fish hard !!!
Alphamale( Bill Anderson Sr. )