Monday, March 20, 2006

The First Monster Buck



Beefybuck,MS> Not long after we bought the famous Christmas Place Plantation Hunting Club, we were in a frenzy to hunt and explore all of the vast area to find the best spots for trophy deer. I tricked my brother into letting me go into an area that no one had gone before. It was one of those days when the sky turns red just at sunset and I was busy admiring the view when the 8 ft. Johnson grass around the field moved and a big set of antlers moved toward the field. Yikes! Right behind it a gigantic set of antlers moved through the grass too! The two deer stepped into the field and though both were large, the 2nd deer was a giant and the first monster I had ever had that close. My heart was beating so loud, I knew they could hear me. The deer was about 30 yards as I eased my hand toward my bow. The monster looked at me! My blood froze. I looked at my bow out of the corner of my eye and it occurred to me that I might not have enough firepower. The deer turned away from me and ambled out of the field. Later, still shaken, I got down and inspected his tracks to make sure I was not imagining things.
A week went by and that Saturday afternoon found me on the stand again. The sky was the same red tint and I was ready. I keenly watched the area where the deer had come out. You know, deer are sneaky and never repeat themselves.
I ignored the rustling to my left as squirrels but then casually glanced that way. The gigantic buck leaped, leapt, anyway the damn thing jumped into the field 20 yards from me. I managed to get my bow and pull it back by concentrating on the side of the monster “don’t look at the horns, don’t look at the horns” the arrow shot out of my bow, the buck jumped and ran. Later I found blood on the arrow, left this note for my brother and the whole family found him later that night. It took four of us to drag it out and get it on a four wheeler! The gigantic 8-point weighed in at 268lbs. Paul kept the note, framed it, and gave it to me for Christmas that year. A great night and the start of a wonderful hunting adventure.