Friday, March 03, 2006

BULLRUNNER

BULLRUNNER
Abbeville, MS> (as told by Hershel Howell) I was hunting in a hickory tree just north of Abbeville, on the edge of a big pasture. The woods along the edge were covered in big deer sign, the area was undisturbed and I knew that I had a really good chance to kill a big buck with my bow if I could wait him out.
Unfortunately, or so I thought, several large cows came into that part of the pasture at daybreak, including one gigantic black bull with horns about 3 feet wide. The cows were making racket, and the bull was bellowing and I figured there was no way I would even see a deer that morning. About that time a huge buck jumped over the barb wire and into the pasture just out of bow range. This buck pawed the ground and shook his horns in the direction of the bull. The bull had eyed the deer
then gave a large bellow, and lowered it’s head to charge.
The buck met him halfway. The buck was over two hundred pounds, but the bull was over 600 lbs., you do the math.
They met head-on and there was a terrific clash of antlers and horns and the buck was flipped over four or five times, but got up and came back for more. They met again. Another terrible blow and the big buck was knocked to his knees. The bull wasted no time and charged after the deer. Around the corner and down the fence line they ran out of sight.
I heard them ram heads again, and the sound of the fence being knocked down. Fence post being knocked over and wire popping. Then it got quiet. a few minutes later the big bull waltzed back out in front of me covered in scratches and bleeding a little. Then a loud snort, and every cow in the pasture looked back the way the deer went (me too). Then every cow took off! The bull froze. Then the big buck appeared running straight at the bull. His horns were wrapped in barb wire and he had three or four fence post hanging from his massive antlers. I imagine it was a terrible sight for the bull to see. The bulls eyes got big as saucers! The bull took off! The buck was right behind him and that was the last I ever saw of him, though there were some peculiar looking calves in that pasture the next spring!

No comments: